Pages

3 June 2019

Gorgeous Glenorchy - Definitely Worth the Wait

When I planned my trip south, I hadn't included visiting Glenorchy. Don't get me wrong, one day, I really wanted to explore this little township, but as I only had two weeks set aside to see "Autumn in Otago", I didn't think this trip would be the right time. 
For years Glenorchy has intrigued me. That red boat shed, the wharf, stunning scenery and also wondering what else was there?
Just before I left Nelson, my Mum asked if I planned to visit Glenorchy, adding the drive in was beautiful. I told her, 'No, not this trip'. But when I was in the area, I decided to put aside a couple of days to check this little township out.
And I'm so pleased I did! This little slice of paradise was definitely worth the wait!



The drive to Glenorchy winds alongside Lake Wakatipu. It's not until you drive beside the lake that you truly appreciate its length - it's 80kms long!  

Glenorchy is a small village, which sits at the northern end of Lake Wakatipu, with a backdrop of spectacular mountain ranges. When, I arrived, it was bustling with tourists - some lazing the afternoon away at the local cafe and others photographing the wharf and historic boat shed. 
I took this photo the day we left (hence the difference in sky colouring from the day we arrived. On the right is a cafe/restaurant and the building to the left, is the Glenorchy Hotel where I stayed overnight in their carpark, which is on the far left of the photo).
The carpark beside the Glenorchy Hotel, allows self contained camper vans to stay, on the condition you purchase a meal from their hotel.

When I pulled into the hotel's carpark, I was pleasantly surprised to see a  long, colourful bus parked up. This bus belongs to an amazing family who are documenting their journey on a You Tube channel called 'Ordinary Extraordinary'. They (the Dove Londons) share their joys and journeys of parenting their gorgeous twin boys with cerebral palsy. Once you start following their channel, you'll be hooked.


Once parked, we set off to explore. Glenorchy has that nice, laidback feel. After we'd walked passed the township, I let the dogs off their leads. Tourists were pleased to see them, they got lots of pats and had their photos taken. It was nice to be in a place where people were dog-friendly and easy going. 



Glenorchy was named after Glen Orchy, a valley in Argyll, Scotland. Nowadays, this popular touristy township has a couple of cafes, a small store, a petrol station and a hotel. The hall on the Main Street, displays photo collages of community members along the walls.




Beside the boat shed, a willow lay on it's side, cloaked in its magnificent autumn attire. 


The couple, in the photo below, were all dressed up for a photo shoot. Wow - what a stunning place to capture and record their special moment.



Glenorchy's Waterfront Reserve sits opposite the boat shed. The picnic tables offer million dollar views across the lake, with towering mountains in the background.


Bursting out of the water, beside the jetty, is a row of eye-catching trees. I'm surprised these trees aren't as famous or as photographed as the 'Wanaka tree'. 




A lone photographer waits patiently for that perfect shot.


About an hour before sunset, photographers began to appear along the riverbank, setting up tripods, and arranging their camera positions and settings for a sunset shot.


I considered joining them, but decided I didn't want to stand around waiting, in one spot. I might miss out on something else !?
Besides, there was a walkway nearby I wanted to check out. 


Near the village, is the start of the Glenorchy Lagoon, Wetland Walk (dogs allowed). The first part of the track meanders beside the Lagoon Creek, with glimpses of Mt Earnslaw.
Before long the road comes to a fork - on the left, the track continues across a foot bridge, and to the right, the path follows the edge of the golf course. It's a loop track so it didn't matter which way I decided to go. I chose the 'bridge' way. 



Ohhh, incase you're wondering ... yes, I always carry doggy bags and always pick up after them - the only thing we leave behind are our footprints.




The sun wasn't far from setting ... maybe half an hour. Ahead of me were lots of people, in pairs or in groups. Everyone seemed to be carrying cameras and tripods. One group of three were laden down with filming equipment and were walking quickly. I wondered if they knew something I didn't know about? I had a bad case of FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out!)
Why so many photographers?



Several times, the boardwalk branched off to a side walk, where a seat was placed for an optimum view. Along one side walk, were three people waiting for the sun to set. They had an awesome spot. When they saw me, they offered to move away so I could get a photo without them in it. Awww, how nice. And a teeny, tiny part of me wanted to say yes, and then steal their seat - hahaha.  I politely declined, thanked them all the same, and took the photo of the three of them in. I think they added interest, don't you?


Hours of labour must have been put into creating these boardwalks. The first part of the walkway was built in 1997, and then in 2012 an extension was added and it doubled in size.



Many times, I had to remind Boo (the smaller dog) to stay on the wooden boards, she was  keen to jump off to investigate further. Which would mean, yours truly, would have to climb in, to fetch her out! 



Parts of the lagoon looked dark and deep - yuck, imagine having to leap in to rescue one of the dogs. Eeek.




Even though, I wasn't in a prime spot to capture the sun when it dipped below the mountains, it was such an amazing evening. The dogs were exercised and happy (and dry), and I had enjoyed something pretty special. It was an evening I certainly won't forget.


As I enjoyed the wetland walk so much, I decided to get up early the next day, before sunrise to get some early morning shots. But, during the night it started to drizzle and I knew I wasn't going to get any sunrise photos. 
However, all was not lost. After this brief visit to Glenorchy, I know it's a place I'll re-visit, and next time, I'll make sure I have more time up my sleeve.


The next day, the rain stopped long enough for us to walk to the lake's edge and around the village again. The moody sky dulled the autumn colours and added another dimension to Glenorchy's charm.



Admittedly, my visit to Glenorchy was only short, but in just a couple of days, it's had a big impact. And as I was looking through photos for this blog, it's made me want to go back again, but for longer next time, and with Bernie. I know he would love it. 
It's a stunning place, one I'd recommend to everyone to see.


I  posted several photos ... cos I couldn't choose between them. 
My new favourite row of trees.
Oakly, not wanting to miss out on experiencing the iconic Glenorchy pier.
With a gloomy, overcast sky, the chance of rain was high. But, despite this bleak forecast, Glenorchy proved it can be remarkable in any kind of weather.

In the photo below, is a house with grass growing over the roof. They're called 'Green Roofs' or 'Living Roofs'  and serve several purposes, such as providing natural insulation, reducing noise, conserving energy and absorbing rain water. They've been building these types of roofs in Europe since the 1960s, and some have been known to last 30 to 50 years.
I wonder how you'd maintain a green roof? Wouldn't it need regular weeding? Wouldn't birds drop seeds when they visited, which would cause other plants to grow? 
Anyway, it looked very unusual, and unfortunately the owner wasn't outdoors so I wasn't able to bombard him/her with questions. Lucky escape!



We soon found ourselves back at our little bus - our cosy home on wheels. 
It was time to hit the road. Wanaka, here we come!


4 comments:

  1. As always, great photos. This is such s stunning place, must put it on our "must revisit list" for our next trip down South.
    Jenny and Robin Romany Rambler

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you see the eco accommodation? - they have won awards. Completely eco friendly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow must get there one day, amazing photos thanks glad you enjoying your "solo" trip with your two friends to keep you company - and no doubt warm at night, must be pretty chilly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your photos are stunning and your story is a delight to read. Next time, allow enough time for Kinloch. Looking down the lake was awesome. The Dart River enters the lake beside the DOC Camp. We didnt realise one needed to book to enjoy the top class restaurant, so have plans to return again, booking our meal well in advance.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment - I'd love to hear from you.