Pages

14 September 2018

A Taste Of Summer

Roll on summer! For two days in a row we've been treated to warm, summery Nelson days. 
Unfortunately, Paddy has had several rough days, and today he seemed to have bounced back so we decided to take the bus somewhere for the afternoon. Not wanting to go too far, we chose Rabbit Island.



We found a nice, place to park under some pine trees to provide some shade. While Bernie put the jug on for a cuppa, I took the dogs for a walk. And I found a great spot beside the water that looked like a better place to park.  And one of the many bonuses that we've found since having this bus, is it's SO easy to pack up and move. Bliss.



The water seemed a striking bluey green colour, which I thought was due to wearing sunglasses, but when I took them off, I was surprised to see, the water was actually that colour!


Bernie enjoyed some R&R while I took the dogs for another wander. When I got back, we sat and enjoyed a cuppa.


Who would have thought that this little spot could provide so much entertainment? First there was a guy nearby, sitting on a rock fishing. Every few minutes he reeled in a fish. They were only small (herrings) but he had a bucket full in no time. He said he'd either fry them up, or make sushi with them.



He caught a few eels, but they were thrown back.



Oakly was particularly interested in the shags. They too, had a lucky day fishing.



More times than not, whenever they dove under the water they'd emerge with a fish.





There was also human activity on the water, in the form of paddle boarders and jet skiers.



And just before we went home, I took the dogs for another walk. I was hoping to get a photo of the tui that had been singing his/her heart out, most of the afternoon, but I was out of luck. All I got was a shag and a seagull.



Rabbit Island is a great spot to unwind and relax. Perhaps the only thing that would make it better, is if camping was allowed. 
Oh ... and being a dog person, I think, it would be fantastic if dogs were allowed on the beach.


2 comments:

  1. great article Katrina and as always, your photos are just stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carron. I think the same about the photos you post - just awesome.

      Delete

Leave a comment - I'd love to hear from you.