Pages

17 September 2018

Adding Our Touch

Luckily for us, the previous owners of our bus were conscientious and kept it immaculate. A few years ago they'd given it a make-over and gone for a modern, black and white interior. And although it looked nice, we wanted to put our mark on it - we wanted to lightened it up a bit. 


So, a few days after we bought it, we headed to 'Spotlight', to check out the upholstery. Before we left, we'd agreed on a tan/beige colour. Fortunately, we've got similar tastes so it didn't take long to find a fabric we both liked.
As we made our way to the check-out, we spotted another roll of fabric that we liked. There were a few reasons why it appealed ... 
For me, it had VW Kombis and V-Dub beetles on it. When I was young and growing up in Hanmer, my family had a kombi van. I have special memories of camping out the Molesworth in our kombi. Swimming in deep, clean rivers, eating wild gooseberries, cooking over an open fire and nobody about but us (no self-containment issues back then, or busy-bodies looking for wrong-doings), life was simple. 
Then later on, my brothers and I learnt to drive in it. Looking back, I appreciate how forgiving the clutch and gear box must been!
Also, the fabric that'd caught our eye, had a 'Beatles' theme, which attracted Bernie - he's such a muso! His teenage years were 'The Beatles' era, plus he's a drummer, so for him, it was a 'done deal'.
We knew covering the entire couch with this 60's themed upholstery would be an overkill - it would make the small area too busy, so we decided to do the seating part in the textured beige that we liked, and cover the back part in the 60's material.



That night we were busy cutting, pinning, sewing, stapling and measuring. We're pleased with the result. It's lighter and brighter and it's got a touch of us. The cushion to the right was a gift from Becs (my daughter).



6 comments:

  1. Love it. Its great to make it yours. You're both skilled. My clever friend used tea towels that gave us a similar effect we loved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carron. Tea towels...what a novel idea. I'll keep that idea for the next time we decide to change the cushions.

      Delete
  2. Looks great, and makes such a difference. Great job, must admit I've never done upholstery yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny. After the amazing photos I've seen of your very clever quilting and sewing projects, I'm sure you would find upholstery a breeze.

      Delete
  3. I like it. Plenty of colour, great talking point and most of all you both agree on the look.!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. We know it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea ... but like you said, we both like it, and yes, it does make a a great talking point.

      Delete

Leave a comment - I'd love to hear from you.