Pages

16 May 2019

Where's Lake Opuha Gone?

I love Google Maps, but sometimes they lead me astray. And on this particular day, 'Google Maps' did exactly that.
As I was about to leave Mt Somers, I typed 'Lake Opuha' into my phone, and away we went. Bernie and I had stayed there 18 months ago, so I had a rough idea of how to get there. Nevertheless I was surprised when Google directed me to turn right. If my memory was right, I was sure I had further to go. However, who was I to question Google. Perhaps a new road had been made?
Turns out Google Maps likes to find the shortest route, and that's why I happened to find myself driving up a narrow, semi-steep, gravel road. 
However, there were a couple of reasons I decided to continue on. One, the view was spectacular, two, part of me was intrigued to see where we'd end up and three, it wasn't the easiest road to turn around on.



And, that's how I ended up at the Lake Ophua dam. Which in fairness, was interesting, plus I could have taken the opportunity to take some photos, but I was kind of disappointed that I'd wasted time, ending up in the wrong place. So, without even hoping out of the bus, I turned around and headed the way I thought Lake Opuha was.
And funnily enough, it was exactly where we'd left it last time we'd visited (haha). Only, it had shrunk in size...alot!



I parked the bus and my forever enthusiastic walking-buddies and I wandered across what used to be beneath water.

The tyre tracks in the foreground were under water when we were there last.

Where the dogs are standing (in the photo above), and the green area in the photo below, was submerged in water before summer. Quite amazing how much water had been used for irrigation during the dry periods, which goes to show how necessary this dam is.



Time for a swim - not for me though!




With or without water, Lake Opuha is simply stunning. 





Lake Opuha is a 700 hectare man-made lake, built to be used as an irrigation reservoir. In addition to irrigation Lake Opuha has a small hydro electric plant on the dam's outlet which provides electricity.


It's easy to see why this sheltered lake only 12kms from Fairlie, is a popular all year around. In the cooler months, freedom campers love the isolation, the photo opportunities and fishing. During summer it's popular for boating, kayaking, water skiing, picnicking and again fishing. You can camp here for two nights (except between 23rd of Dec to 2nd of Jan). There are three freedom camping areas around Lake Opuha, but this spot is the best!(directions at the end of this post).



Back at the bus, we relaxed in the sun, had some lunch and soaked up the surroundings. Until Boo started to bark, which surprised me, as I thought we had the place to ourselves?
However, it was a welcome sight, to see a lady exercising her miniature ponies, and one rather large dog.



If you'd like to read about our stay at Lake Opuha when we visited it in 2017 and see the difference in water levels, click here ... Lake Ophua 

Directions to get to lake Ophua from Geraldine
  • Drive towards Fairlie from Geraldine
  • Just before the town, take the sign posted road to the right 'Mount Michael Road'
  • 'Mount Michael Road' merges into 'Trentham Road'
  • Go about 10kms and you'll come to Monument Corner, there's a war memorial in the centre of the intersection.
  • Turn right and cross over the bridge
  • Drive past the first picnic area on the right... the next road on the right is the best place to freedom camp. ENJOY.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful photos and reflections. We ended up at the dam on our first visit. We got there rather late in the day, just before sunset. A couple from Aussie arrived just after us, so we decided to keep each other company.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment - I'd love to hear from you.