Pages

26 February 2023

Reflections and a Wedding

I'm sure you'll agree, the Mackenzie Country holds a special place in many people's hearts. So, it was no surprise when Bernie's daughter Renee and her fiancĂ©, chose to get married in Twizel, a little alpine village in the Mackenzie district. 

However, it was a surprise when they asked me to take their wedding photos.I love taking photos (at an amateur level) but have no experience in wedding photography. I guess they had more confidence in my ability, than I did. 

Driving from Nelson to Twizel took a good chunk of the day and it was early evening when I finally arrived. I headed to Lake Ruataniwha, hoping to get a few sunset photos but there was a slight breeze over the lake which wasn't ideal for reflections. So I drove to Wairepo Arm (beside the Ohau B canal), thinking it might be sheltered.  

 
On the eastern side of Wairepo Arm there didn't appear to be a breeze. The hills were bathed in a soft golden light, which complimented the viper's-bugloss growing along the foothills.


Knowing I only had a small window of time when the light was soft and golden, I rushed to find a spot beside the lake to get some photos. I can see why photographers scope out an area before hand. However, I hadn't had that opportunity so I drove back to SH8, crossed the road and parked beside Kelland Pond. Then walked across to Wairepo Arm (this time I was on the west side). 


I got as close to the lake edge as I could without slipping in! Being a wetland, it was grassy and spongy, making it uneven underfoot. There were a couple of times when I was close to getting wet!
 



In a world where everything is so fast paced (maybe my perception), I treasure moments of solitude in nature. There's no pressure, no comparison, no expectations, no rush ... just time to appreciate one's surroundings.



After awhile I started to feel the affects of being around all the dry grass. My eyes started itching and
my eyelids felt like grains of sand were floating around beneath them. 
Years ago,I wouldn't have gone anywhere without anti-histamine tablets. However, nowadays hay fever is a distant memory, so I was surprised when it came back. I was hoping a pharmacy would be open the next day.
Taking photos with itchy eyes might not make for the best wedding captures. 



I could easily have sat there until dark but I didn't have my phone with me and knew Bern would be trying to contact me. Wouldn't it be amazing if somehow you could capture the sounds and smells when you take a photo. Maybe one day, that might happen.


And as I mentioned earlier, the reason for the trip to Twizel was for Renee's wedding. It was a fabulous day and despite my jitters about taking the photos, I really enjoyed it! 
Hiding behind a camera really does have its perks, especially for an introvert like me.


Ant & Renee
'The Happy Couple'
 

2 comments:

  1. Love that last one. Might be time to start packing the antihistamines again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Supergran. Yes, I think you're right, I forgot how annoying hayfever can be!

      Delete

Leave a comment - I'd love to hear from you.