Pages

20 February 2023

The First Sunrise of 2023

The alarm went at 5am - I wanted an early start for the 10 hour drive ahead (Twizel to Nelson). I'd also planned to be near Lake Tekapo at sunrise and was looking forward to taking photos of lupins during the golden hour.

My first stop was at Irishman Creek. The early morning light was just touching the top of the hills, turning them a pastel peach colour.

Irishman Creek was the birthplace of the Hamilton Jets and as a youngster, my Mum lived there for a couple of years when her father worked for Hamilton Jets as a mechanic.


After taking a few photos I continued on towards Lake Tekapo. A few days ago when I had been driving in the opposite direction, I'd seen a field of lupins. I'd wanted to stop, but there were cars behind me and I couldn't see anywhere safe to pull over. 
But now, as I looked in the rear view mirror, I was pleased to see there wasn't a car in sight.  Now there was time to look for a spot to park and I was rapt when I noticed an open gate leading to the lupins!

As it was early morning, there wasn't anyone else about. Just me, amongst all those gorgeous lupins.

It did feel a little odd not having the dogs with me. They're usually always by my side and with all the rabbit holes and tracks, they would have been beside themselves with excitement!



The surrounding hills were bathed in a gorgeous golden glow and before long the lupins were also covered in the first rays of light. 



Credit for this beautiful scene goes to Mother Nature and also to Connie Scott of Godley Peaks Station, whom back in the late 1940s purchased lupin seeds from a local stock agent with the intention of making the region more attractive. And I'm sure you'll agree, Connie achieved her goal.


What a fabulous start to 2023!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment - I'd love to hear from you.