Pages

23 February 2023

A Bush Walk - A Random Wall and A Very Close Call!

From the photos I've seen, Marble Hill Campsite looked like a nice place to stay. For awhile now, I've wanted to visit but it's a DOC camp and no dogs are allowed. However, recently I was passing by and the dogs weren't with me, so I stopped to check it out.


Marble Hill Campsite is located 5km east of Springs Junction, on Lewis Pass Highway (SH7). It's a large area suitable for any length campervan, with a selection of hard, flat areas to park, and little secluded nooks for the smaller campers and tents.

Near the end of the campsite, on the left, is a shelter and it's here that the popular Lake Daniell track begins, it's about 8kms one way and can be done in a day. The shelter is also where the Sluice Box Walk begins. The sluice box is a deep, narrow gorge along the Maruia River.  

The track winds through a beautiful beech forest. Every now and then I noticed a splash of colour, which stood out amongst the many shades of green and brown. Nature really is breathtaking!

It wasn't long before I came to the Sluice Box Bridge. Usually, it's an easy 5 minute walk to the bridge, however I took a little longer because I kept stopping to take photos.

The colour of the water below was stunning.- another of nature's gems. 


As tempting as it was to continue walking, I had a long drive ahead. The rest of the walk would have to wait for another time.  



As I was nearing where I'd parked the car, I noticed a worn, grass track leading towards a low concrete, wall  - I went to investigate.


I'm pleased I did because I discovered this random concrete wall had been built for a purpose. The wall was built by scientists in 1964 and is 24 metres long and 1.4 metres high, with most of it underground. 


It turned out that the wall hadn't been randomly put there, it had been precisely placed to sit through the middle of the Alpine Fault. Scientists were monitoring movement in the Alpine Fault and their theory was if one side of the fault moved in relation to the other, it would be measured on the wall.


It's reassuring to note, since the wall has been there, it hasn't moved, and because there's been no movement in almost 60 years it indicates that the Alpine Fault doesn't make small movements. Instead like most active faults in New Zealand (and worldwide), it makes large movements!

And close to the wall, is a fenced area that Maruia School children have adopted as a restoration project for two vulnerable frost flat plant species.



Time was marching on, so I wandered back to the car, stopping to admire wildflowers amongst the grass.



Not far away were several campers nestled at the edge of the beech forest. It looked like a great spot!


I was pleased I'd spent a few hours exploring and can see why many people recommend it. 

Leaving the campsite, I stopped at the main road to give way. There were no vehicles on my left and on my right, I noticed a vehicle in the distance. So I pulled out. However, within seconds, I saw that the vehicle on my right was being over taken - the over-taking car must have been in a blind spot. I only had seconds to react, which strangely, at the time, felt longer. There was no option except to drive straight ahead, which fortunately happened to have a pull over area. I was literally seconds away from being hit and what surprises me to this day is how calm I felt in those split seconds.

However, afterwards, I didn't feel so calm. I kept replaying it over and over and questioned myself over an over. By the grace of God, I'd narrowly avoided being in an accident. It's been a wake up call. Check, check and check again!

Life could have changed so quickly.   

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing. I too have thought about stopping there, and now I will next time we head to Nelson. Also thanks for the reminder to always take extra care went turning on a busy state highway or any road really

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its one.of my favorite spots to stop over.
    Love watching the big trout under the bridge and the moss coverd trees make it a fairy tale place.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment - I'd love to hear from you.