Pages

20 November 2017

'Rose Trees' - The King of Shrubs

'Awa Awa Rata Reserve' is not far from Methven (about 12 kms) – and it’s awesome. I didn’t even know it existed until the afternoon before we were going to leave Methven. Ian McGregor who follows my blog read we were in Methven and messaged me suggesting this reserve as a great place to visit.
I was so grateful – within minutes I’d grabbed my camera, put the dogs in the ute and I was off.


It was easy to find. I just had to follow the road signs leading to the ‘Mt Hutt’ skifield. Once on that road (McLennans Bush Road) instead of turning right towards Mt Hutt, I continued along the gravel road for another few minutes and the sign ‘Awa Awa Rate Reserve’ appeared.


The reserve has an incredible display of rhododendrons that were first planted in 1968 in the picnic ground and have continued to be planted and maintained by the Awa Awa Rata Reserve Society.




The rhododendrons are a mass of stunning colours - backed by dark green native bush.




Heaps of bumble bees were out making the most of the spring flowering shrubs. The weird thing is – the nectar is toxic to honey-bees. 


My favourite.



Any honey that's made from the pollen of rhododendrons is unsafe for humans to eat. It’s known as ‘mad honey’. So it’s common practice for beekeepers to keep their hives closed until the flowering season is over.


And while I’ve strayed off to the topic of toxins –  rhodendrons produce nectar that’s harmful to humans, they contain dangerous levels of grayanotoxin which is a toxin that can cause low blood pressure, irregular heart rhythms, vomiting and dizziness.


All parts of a rhodendron bush are toxic to most animals.



Rhododendron is the national flower of Nepal.



The name rhododendron comes from the greek words ‘rodo’ which means ‘rose’ and ‘dendron’ which means ‘tree’, hence ‘Rose Tree’.


  
There are several walks to choose from that start from the reserve. They vary in length and difficulty – a notice board in the reserve gives more information on the various tracks.






The bush was rich in birdlife, I heard and saw several bellbirds but they were too quick for me to photograph. Tomtit, riflemen, wood pigeon and grey warbler are also residents of the reserve. And keas live above the bush-line.




It was nice being in a place where dogs were allowed and seeing and hearing so many birds - proof that dogs and native birds can live in harmony.







2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful place! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only at the right time of the year LAST WEEK of October to FIRST WEEK of NOVEMBER are the flowers blooming. PTC.NZ

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment - I'd love to hear from you.